Robert Laird's "Extended" Family
UPDATE: This web page was created over 12 years ago, and I was naive enough to think that I could enumerate all the Laird references and people I found on the web. Well, if you Google "Laird" right now (July 2008), there are about 9.3 million results!
Also, a great many of the original links on this page are broken, many of them for many, many years. Please keep all this in mind as you view this page. In 1995, it seems reasonable to create such a page, but now it only seems absurd and pointless. Then again, Google didn't exist in 1995, so, I guess I was ahead of my time, eh? :-)
I happened to be reading the 3/95 issue of Byte Magazine and read a letter to the editor from a Cameron Laird.
Well, my 4-yr-old son's name is Cameron, so I was intrigued. There was an internet e-mail address, so I sent him
an e-mail more or less introducing myself. It turned out that he had a Web page, too. We're not related... or,
at least, not directly, but there does seem to be a vague resemblance, and some of the old stories told seem to
match my family's "old stories", so maybe there is a link.
Cameron Laird has set up a Web page that discusses a couple of different stories about the possible origins
of the Laird family, one provided by me, the other by Tony Laird.
Instead of duplicating his work, here
is a link to that page.
Now, this idea of finding unrelated family members (is that an oxymoron?) seems to be growing. In fact, I'm
taking it on as a pet project, putting up links to other "Lairds", all over the world. Below are the
ones I've found so far.
If you're simply interested in geneological information-let's-cut-out-the-razz-matazz, then check out Russell's Info | My Info | Spencer's
Info | Georgia Info.
Now, to keep this in perspective, my brothers names are:
and my two son's are:
So, you can see that there seem to be a small number of "acceptable" first names for Lairds. (In
case you didn't get it, that was said with tongue-in-cheek.) None of the people below are related (that I'm aware
of at this point). Maybe, just maybe, I can get some information from them that will piece together a bigger Laird
family picture. Here's hoping!
Many years ago
I was given a look at the "family shield". It was supposed to be a closely guarded secret (well, at least,
that's the way I remember it). Anyway, I sneaked into the room when no one knew I was around and I sketched the
coat of arms. The first thing that will be obvious is that I'm not an artist... But, look closely and you'll see,
from top to bottom, a stag, helmet, boars heads, chevron, crescent and the motto, Spero Meliora, which means, "I hope for better things." I've read books on coat
of arms, which indicates what each of these icons mean, but I've since forgotten it all.
The funny thing is, I ran across this coat of arms (almost identical) a year ago in a book on Scotland, so
I have no way of knowing if this is just a well-known coat of arms that was adopted by some high-handed ancestor,
or if there is genuine validity on its use within my lineage.
Update: I have since run into several people who have
set me straight about this coat of arms. The short version is: coat of arms are "assigned to" or "earned"
by only a single family, not to a clan or family name. While the coat of arms displayed here may be real (and there
are many reasons to suggest it is), it would then only belong to a single family and does NOT represent all Lairds.
Unfortunately, Americans and others have always been fascinated by 'coat of arms' and there are many businesses
that prey on that fascination; they generate certificates and reproductions of someone's coat of arms (or maybe
just make them up) and hand them out like high-priced candy. So, don't be taken in by this or any of those companies
that sell books about "your" family. The research is extremely incomplete and essentially useless. Sorry
I won't elaborate too much on these Laird Web sites. Check them out for yourself! They aren't in any order,
either, I simply add them when I find them.
Cameron Laird - originally from Indiana
- Cameron is a busy guy. If you search the Web with the keyword "Laird", his name
- shows up more often than just about anyone's. And if you want someone to blame
- for this "Laird Page", then pick on him. ;-)
Kyler B. Laird - Cameron's brother! -
from Lafayette, IN
Bobby Laird - currently at Auburn University, "Fred"
is a doctoral candidate
- in the Department of Family and Child Development with a master's degree
- from Auburn and a Bacheolor's from L.S.U. He is also an accomplished runner.
Chris Laird - of York, England
- Chris is 20 and was born in Chester, UK, and is
- studying German and linguistics at the University of York, and
- is currently in Kiel, Germany. He has two younger sisters.
Rod Laird of Australia.
Jaison Denis Laird
- Jay Laird is Vice-President and Information Services Coordinator of Active Window Productions. His job involves
the day-to-day management of the Active Window Productions staff, the editorial management of actwin.com's information
services as well as the creation of new services, the direct coordination of MediaNation Film/Video and Information=Power,
plus general graphic design and writing duties. All of this has led him to working long hours and sometimes talking
about himself in the third person.
John E. Laird
- Prof. John Laird received his B.S. from the University of Michigan in 1975 and his Ph.D. in Computer Science
from Carnegie Mellon University in 1983. The title of his thesis was "Universal Subgoaling" and his thesis
advisor was Allen Newell. Before joining the faculty at the University of Michigan, Dr. Laird was a member of research
staff at Xerox Palo Alto Research Center from 1984 to 1986. Prof. Laird is currently the director of the University
of Michigan's Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.
Nan M. Laird
- Dr. Laird's primary research focus is the development of statistical methodology in three main areas: the
analysis of missing and/or incomplete data, the analysis of longitudinal or repeated measured data and methods
for combining the results of a series of experiments.
Jerry D. Laird, Sergeant, Riverside,
Ca. Police Dept.
- (You have to scroll down the page to see the info on Jerry) More than 15 years experience in all phases
of law enforcement supervision including patrol, traffic, investigations, aviation, and special programs.
- (You have to scroll down the page a bit to see the info on Kenneth). KENNETH LAIRD is a Faculty Associate
with the Research Institute for Telecommunications and Information Marketing (RITIM) and Assistant Professor at
Southern Connecticut State University in New Haven, Connecticut. He received his Ph.D. in Management Systems in
1992 from the University of New Haven. His specializations include Management, Marketing, and Management Information
- Apparently, Cammel Laird is a shipyard, named as the builder
of the British dreadnoughts; a King George V class batttleship, "Audacious" in 1911, launched on 14 Sept
1912. It had a short life. It was struck by a mine in Oct 1914 and sank after towing efforts failed. Cammel Laird
also worked on a Hood class battlecruiser in 1916, but it was eventually cancelled; on a Nelson class battleship,
the "Rodney", in 1927; a King George V class battleship, the "Prince of Wales", which was completed
in 1941, damaged by the Bismark in May 1941, and sunk by Japanese aircraft on Dec 10, 1941. If you have any information
on this shipyard and especially on its namesake, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
- TNS Voice Operations, San Diego State University, Department of Business Affairs
- Philip Laird is a Scientist in the Computational Sciences Division within the Information Systems Directorate
at NASA's Ames Research Center near Mountain View, California. He holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Yale University
and an S.B in Physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. His research interests include machine learning
algorithms and learning patterns from temporal data. He applies his research to the automation of mission operations
- Donald is the Webmaster for an Orienteering
Web Page for the Bay Area Orienteering Club, courtesy of Stanford University, and has his own Internet consulting
- A red-head, who has a Web page FOR red-heads called Redhead's
International. Check it out! She's also seems to be fond of Mariah Carey.
- Delbert designed this Web page for Maelstrom Hobby of Concord, Ca.
- Cheryl is a reporter in my hometown of Houston, and writes feature
- for the Houston Chronicle. This isn't her home page, but there is a picture and
- some interesting tidbits about what she writes. Like me, she is one of those
- very rare "native Houstonians."
Jason Brian Laird
- Jason is a Senior Economics Major and Teaching Technician, OTAL, University of Maryland,
- College Park. He was married on August 17, 1995.
- Sally lives in Eagle River, Alaska, (just outside of Anchorage) and is a self-confessed
- self-taught computer user, and closet novelist. Sally has very interesting, and readable
- home pages all about her family, pets, hobbies, husband, etc.
- ?? Purchasing Agent, Technology Support Group, Indiana University Purchasing Department ??
- A counselor for Oxford College, Emory University, near Atlanta, Georgia.
E. H. "Ted" Laird
- Instructor of Accounting at the University of San Francisco, McLaren School of Business.
- BBA, University of Michigan, 1951; MBA, University of Michigan, 1953. Member: AICPA California
- Society of CPA's, Financial Executives Institute, Financial Officers of Northern California.
- Professor of Materials Science & Engineering, Laboratory for Research on the Structure of Matter, at
the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. His interest: understanding and predicting strength and fracture
properties in a wide range of structural materials, including metals and alloys, and various classes of composites,
eg. carbon/polymer, MMC's (metal matrix composites) and ceramic matrix composites. His main focus in metallic materials
is cyclic deformation and fatigue, including the role of environment in fracture.
Um... yeah... got it!
- (Now, it's quite likely I'm related to Kathleen because she was born in Meridian, Mississippi. I have kin-folk
spread through the central Mississippi area, principally around Union, MS.)
- Kathleen is a junior at Mississippi State University. Her major is special education/pre-occupational therapy.
- (If I had had a daughter, I probably would have named her Heather.)
- Heather is a student at the Grady College of Journalism at
the University of Georgia, in Athens, Georgia.
Brian B. Laird
- Assistant Professor, Natural Sciences, Chemistry Department, Statistical Mechanics of Liquids and Solids,
at the University of Kansas. Research Interests: Physical chemistry: first-order phase transition, interfaces,
amorphous systems, general liquid state theory, in homogeneous fluids, realization and transport of excitations
in condensed matter.
- Secretary, Research School of Earth Sciences, RSES Support Staff, Victoria University of Wellington, New
Kitty Campbell Laird
- In her ninth year at PMO, Kitty Campbell Laird, assistant director of Purdue Musical Organizations, is the
director of the Purdue Bell Choir. Kitty also works extensively with the specialty acts for this group and does
arranging, vocal coaching, and choreography for all of PMO.
Neil F. Laird
- Assistant Professional Scientist
- Illinois State Water Survey
- Office of Cloud and Precipitation Research
- 2204 Griffith Drive
- Champaign, Illinois 61820-7495
- - Current Research Interests
- - - - Sea Breeze Circulation
- - - - Lake-Effect Snowstorms
- - - - Hawaiian Rainbands
- - - - Tropical Cumulus Cloud Processes
- - - - Cloud Physics Laboratory Investigations
- Stephen is 16 years old and lives in Helen's Bay, Northern
Ireland. He is studying A-Level maths, physics and chemistry at Sullivan Upper School, and hope to continue towards
either electrical or mechanical engineering.
Andrew D. Laird
- Andy Laird is a Seattle inventor and bird watcher whose weekly radio series, Flying High, can be heard on
KGW-TV in Seattle. His numerous inventions include the rake, the dipthong and the sandstone coaster.
- Alan runs a business by the name of Laird Networking out of Ashland,
- Al is the president of a structural engineering services company in North Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Craig lives in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and runs a business
called Queensland Computer Tutorials.
Christopher Eli Laird
- Christopher is the Foundation Professor of Physics, Eastern Kentucky University, in Richmond, Kentucky,
with interests in Nuclear Physics, Quantum Mechanics, Mechanics, and Electricity & Magnetism.
Dr. Irving W. Laird
- Nampa First Church of the Nazarene Board Member and Head, Dept. of Special Ministries, the Athletic Council,
and the Graduate Council of Northwest Nazarene College, Nampa, Idaho.
Paul writes: "I am a welfare fraud collector for the State of Washington. I have a bachelor's
degree in from Olivet Nazarene University in Philosophy and Communications, and a Master's degree in Organizational
Leadership from Chapman University in California. I am a program manager over Court Ordered Restitution accounts
in our office.
"I have made two recent genealogy trips and just published my first genealogy book on my
wife's family "This Will Never Happen Again - The story of Marvin Kammrath and Paula Klug".
George James Laird Jr.
- Jim, born in Brooklyn, N.Y., owns and operates his own executive search firm
- called Fortune Personnel Consultants of Orlando, Inc. He's also been an engineer,
- manager and director of computer hardware and software development for NCR Corporation.
- He has a son, Bryan C., and daughter, Lisa M., and his wife is Audrey Christenbury,
- married in December of 1967.
- Amelia is a 4th Grader at Ferny Creek Public
School, and she is listed on their Web page. She lives in Melborne, Australia.
- Part of the first pledge class (April 1985) of Gamma Rho Fraternity a chapter of Sigma Alpha Mu, out of
the University of California at San Diego.
- (I have no clue!)
- Is ranked #100 in the Formula 1 Prognosticator Pandemonium competition. In this competition. entrants predict
season's results before the first race of the season, and are scored on the closeness of the picks. For information
on this, click here.
- Director, Family Life Office, Diocese of Arlington, VA
- A mathematician, at the University of Wollongong, Australia.
- (Provided to me by Cheryl Laird)
- Brother to Bobby (aka Fred) Laird, and student at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
- Ann Arbor, Michigan, Community High School Alumnus, 1992-1995. BA in History from the University of Michigan;
MA in International Relations and Policy Analysis from the University of Denver; Intelligence Officer in the US
Navy. "I'd tell you more but then I'd have to kill you."
- Operates a Mayberry-RFD-ish computer store located on the square in downtown Mt. Vernon, TX (pop. 2,200),
a Northeast Texas anchor community of a lake/retirement area known as the Geezerplex. (Russell had a lot of interesting,
and almost-coinciding-with- my lineage, information which I've posted here.)
Colin Laird -- Hometown: Port Perry, ON, Canada
- Colin is a full time student at McMaster University in Hamilton, ON, studying Business. He works part time
as the university's mascot which is an eagle.
Lairds in Congress
Laird, James (1849-1889) Born in Fowlerville, N.Y., June 20, 1849. Delegate
to Nebraska state constitutional convention, 1875; U.S. Representative from Nebraska 2nd District, 1883-1889. Died
August 17, 1889. Interment at Parkview Cemetery,
Hastings, Neb. (See also his congressional
Laird, L. E. of Worland, Wyo. Delegate to Democratic National Convention from
Wyoming at-large, 1944. Still living as of 1944.
Laird, Melvin Robert (1922- ) of Marshfield, Wis. Born in Omaha, Wis., September
1, 1922. Served in the U.S. Navy during World War II; member of Wisconsin state senate, 1946; U.S. Representative
from Wisconsin 7th District, 1953-1969; delegate to Republican National Convention from Wisconsin at-large, 1964;
U.S. Secretary of Defense, 1969-1973. Received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1974. Still living as of 1998.
(See also his congressional biography.)
Laird, William Ramsey III (1916-1974) Born in Keswick, Calif., June 2, 1916.
Served in the U.S. Navy during World War II; U.S. Senator from West Virginia, 1956. Died in Fayetteville, W.Va.,
January 7, 1974. Interment at Huse Memorial Park,
Fayetteville, W.Va. (See also his congressional
No link info
- Mirage Publishing -- best known as the co-creator of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... his fame probably
prevents him from publishing an address, but here is a page
of some interest and relevance.
- ...who brought us the ever popular, Technique of Latin Dancing (1992 Walter Laird, ISBN 0 900326 21 2)
- Former Secretary of the Defense, in the Nixon Administration. (See above, Lairds in Congress)
W. David Laird: Hopi Bibliography
- Comprehensive and Annotated
- University of Arizona Press [c1977]
- 735 p.; 6 x 9
- Includes indexes.
- "Over three thousand annotated entries covering every aspect of
- Hopi life and culture. A valuable handbook." --Western Historical Quarterly.
- Hopi Indians, Bibliography
- LC: 77009563 Class: Z1210.H6
- ISBN: 0-8165-0633-7 Cloth in US: $13.50 (out of print)
- ISBN: 0-8165-0566-7 Paper in US: $35.00
Something I ran across in my searches...thanks to Spencer
Laird, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 13909 Davenport Ave, San Diego, CA 92129
Georgia Census Records
Family Name County Dates Number
--------------- ------------- ----------- ------
Laird Clarke 1800-1850 1
Laird Jasper 1820-1820 1
Laird Morgan 1808-1830 1
Laird Newton 1830-1920 1
Laird Rockdale 1875-1994 1
More food for thought
Below is the result of a query to the InterNIC server on the name "Laird" (as of 6/23/97)...
LAIRD NOLLER FORD/MAZDA NET-C111335 C111335 184.108.40.206
LAIRD, ROBERT (RL3337) RTLAIRD@AOL.COM800-231-7983 (FAX) 313-459-4415
Laird Consulting LAIRD2-DOM LAIRD.COM
Laird Harris Associates LHAPUBAFF-DOM LHAPUBAFF.COM
Laird Management Consulting LAIRD3-DOM LAIRD.ORG
Laird Manufacturing LMFG-DOM LMFG.COM
Laird Networking LAIRD-DOM LAIRD.NET
Laird Norton Company LAIRDNORTON-DOM LAIRDNORTON.COM
Laird Norton Endowment Foundation LAIRDNORTON2-DOM LAIRDNORTON.ORG
Laird Norton Financial Group LNFG-DOM LNFG.COM
Laird Norton Trust LNTCO-DOM LNTCO.COM
Laird Norton Trust Company NETBLK-NET-LNT NET-LNT
220.127.116.11 - 18.104.22.168
Laird Packaging, Inc. LAIRDPAK-DOM LAIRDPAK.COM
Laird Plastics Inc LAIRD-PLASTICS-DOM LAIRD-PLASTICS.COM
Laird Pulver LAIRDEXHIBIT-DOM LAIRDEXHIBIT.COM
Laird Security Systems Division LSSD-DOM LSSD.COM
Laird Welding & MFG. Works, Inc. LAIRDMFG-DOM LAIRDMFG.COM
Laird Williams L-N-L-DOM L-N-L.COM
Laird, Alan AL86 alan@LAIRD.NET 541.488.4021
Laird, Alan AL973 laird@GOL.COM
+81 3 5701 6063 (FAX) +81 3 5701 6063
Laird, Alan (AL1176) alan@IP.COM 415-588-1100 (FAX) 415-588-1200
Laird, Bob BL1106 blaird@EGGHEAD.COM
509-891-6639 (FAX) 509-921-2890
Laird, Bob BL1319 mkrehel@AWINC.COM
1- 604 -868-2355 (FAX) 1-604-868-2384
Laird, Bryan BL2197 blaird@EROLS.COM 703-490-0302
Laird, Buck BL814 buck@LCADS.COM (808) 531-9841
Laird, Cameron CL60 claird@CALLADAN.COM (713) 996-8546
Laird, Charles CL1501 admin@I-X-P.COM 817 591 1955
Laird, Charles CL1653 ixp@GTE.NET 8175911955
Laird, Clay CL2065 clayl@ONRAMP.NET (214) 707-4968
Laird, Colin CL190 Claird@HMC.ORG 970-927-1192
Laird, Craig CL807 RoyalOak@SHENTEL.NET 540 635 7064
Laird, Curt CL2187 dispatch@LOCKRANGER.COM
(425)820-7175 (FAX) (425)821-7334
Laird, Dave DL2738 absolute@THE-WIRE.COM
416-450-2595 (FAX) 416-626-3574
Laird, David DL2479 gjs@DIAMONDS-UNLIMITED.COM (407) 297-8000
Laird, Delbert DL1549 dlaird@ASCENSIONONLINE.COM
+1 510 685 5840 (FAX) +1 510 798 1052
Laird, Donald DL952 laird@SONIC.NET (707)544-5368
Laird, Donald DL2595 laird@DONALDLAIRD.COM
(707) 544-5368 (FAX) (707) 544-5321
Laird, Duane DL297 postmaster@SYNEXSYSTEMS.COM 604-688-8271
Laird, Evans EL409 ces@GIM.NET 610-617-1104
Laird, Felice FL458 felicel@MK.IBEK.COM
202-463-0904 (FAX) 202-429-9812
Laird, Gregory GL1375 webmaster@TMR-USA.COM (770) 472-1092
Laird, Heather (HL568) hlo1@AOL.COM 707 254 4027 (FAX) 707 254 4080
Laird, Heather (HL598) HL01@AOL.COM 707-254-4027 (FAX) 707-254-4080
Laird, James E (JL2772) lairdj@BWAY.NET603-641-2254 (FAX) 603-668-5784
Laird, Jay JL284 jaide@ACTWIN.COM (617) 497-7715
Laird, Jeff JL2303 jeffrey@CRC-AQC.COM
714.894.5252 (FAX) 714.893.2322
Laird, Jeff JL4224 Jeffery@CRC-AQC.COM
714-379-8888 (FAX) 714-379-8894
Laird, Jeffrey JL843 jeffrey@CRC_AQC.COM (714) 894-5252
Laird, John JL4603 JLAIRD@TARLETON.EDU (817) 968-9885
Laird, John JL4011 jlaird@ATTMAIL.COM
314-519-5863 (FAX) 314-519-5611
Laird, Juanita JL200 juanita@HEVANET.COM (503) 221-1063
Laird, Kathleen KL483 patel@CCNET.COM 209/221-2507
Laird, Kim KL642 nvbc@SONIC.COM 707-942-4101
Laird, Kyler B KBL4 kyler@LAIRDS.COM +1 (317) 463-3447
Laird, Larry LL37-ORG nomail@IPRESENT.COM 601-679-5963
Laird, Lee LL10 ab5sm@NETCOM.COM
(214) 767-8147 (FAX) (214) 767-3144
Laird, Lee LL633 ab55m@NETCOM.COM 214.372.7686
Laird, Lee (LL1065) kr5@AIRMAIL.NET903-587-3662 (FAX) 214-375-9562
Laird, Lee LL1523 kr5f@AIRMAIL.NET
903-587-9407 (FAX) 214-375-9562
Laird, Lew LL1192 nomailbox@NOWHERE 3307962121
Laird, Linda R LRL11 postmaster@THECOUP.COM 415-491-5508
Laird, Margo ML1012 realty4u@CHENEY.NET 904-939-9500
Laird, Mary ML1235 Mary@SAGINAWPIPE.COM 205 664-3670
Laird, Phillip PL66 plaird@MAL.UUCP.NETCOM.COM (317) 564-3680
Laird, Randall LR88-ORG VideoT@WORLDNET.ATT.NET (425)255-1980
Laird, Ray RL2671 hiyc@CYBERHIGHWAY.NET
(503) 289-4007 (FAX) (503) 362-0005
Laird, Robert RL1833 subo7@EARTHLINK.NET
310-451-5555 (FAX) 310-451-1993
Laird, Robert RL2681 email@example.com
713-467-4135 (FAX) 713-467-4135
Laird, Scott SL823 tslaird@MINDSPRING.COM 770-813-9709
Laird, Scott SL873 slaird@CBPR.COM 1-770-392-8611
Laird, Scott A SAL2 scott@LAIRD.COM
1-360-733-3769 1-360-734-7028 1-360-734-7028 (FAX) 1-360-671-6551
Laird, Shirley SL2401 ice@ELECTRICBREAD.COM
(907)562-3131 (FAX) (907)561-1835
Laird, Steven SL1242 thearkaltn@AOL.COM 501-631-9329
Laird, Taneshia TL831 mandmgroup@AOL.COM
908-572-2120 (FAX) 908-572-2108
Laird, Tim TL847 lairdt@PGG.MCDERMOTT.COM 330-860-2404
Laird, Tom TL38 lairdt@CSOS.ORST.EDU (503) 658-6081
Laird, Tom TL202 lairdt@PEAK.ORG (503)373-3850
Laird, Tom TL702 lairdt@CSE.COM 503-492-3652
Laird, Tom LT52-ORG lairdt@CSE.COM (503) 492-1066
Laird, Travis TL425 travislaird@MSN.COM 303 443-3600
Laird, Travis TL1123 travis@LAIRDNET.COM
401-946-5218 (FAX) 401-946-5670
McCulloch, Laird LM324 laird@JOIN.COM (415) 321-4006
Paternoster, Joseph JP1320 laird@SONIC.NET (707) 528-3313
Pulver, Laird LP1154 laird@MCROON.TC.UM.EDU
612-690-0662 (FAX) 612-690-0426
Stovall, Ransom RS1605 laird@SONIC.NET (707) 579-1400
The Laird Group NETBLK-LAIRD LAIRD 22.214.171.124 - 126.96.36.199
Return to Robert Laird's Home Page